Sunday, January 02, 2005

Psychoactive chillies

I was a little down yesterday morning. Then for lunch I had some vege parcels from "Little Saigon" with a good helping of sliced chilli. It was rather tasty but well out of my league on the chilli scale. I felt the hurt but was also washed over by a feeling of wellbeing and tranquility.

Chilli Facts:
1) Birds are unresponsive to the capsaicin which gives chillies their heat.
2) The hottest parts of chillies aren't the seeds but the white placentas which attach the seeds to the flesh. The seeds themselves are bitter without being hot.
3) I still haven't forgiven Duncs for feeding me a whole habernero :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger duncs said...

mmm...habanero...
unfortunately, the plant kinda died a while ago, so no fresh hab's for a while now, though we've still plenty preserved in various forms and tons of fresh thai chillies - that bush just keeps powering on!

5:21 PM

 
Blogger John said...

Sad to hear that old habs is no longer with us. He was a truly worthy adversary.

I'm thinking of growing some chillies on my balcony. What would you recommend for a beginner? At the moment I'm tossing up between thai chillies and jalapenos.

FYI:
mild chili + genitalia = interesting
(This is neither an endorsement nor a discouragement.)

5:11 AM

 
Blogger duncs said...

Sweet - get stuck into growing your own!

I can do nothing but reccommend having a thai (or two) in your garden/window - they're powerful, but small enough so that you can get the heat the way you want it. (They make good chilli beer, too!!!!)

I've been meaning to get a jalapeno going myself for ages, and i'd be keen to hear how you get on with one (if you go that way).

Also, I hear good things about birdseye chillies...

11:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home